What's the problem that caused by Food waste'? Why the Horeca Thai entrepreneurs need to care? How does it relate to your business? Why should you do something about it? This may be a question that many restaurant owners and hotel owners are asking.
Besides reducing food waste, it will help you to reduce costs, earn more income and profit and the simple answer is environmental problems had caused by food waste. Food waste is part of the global warming crisis. For now, new generation consumers around the world demand the entrepreneurs take responsibility for the world and it became an increasingly 'global trend'
Horeca Thai entrepreneurs should be attention because you can take advantage of this opportunity and lead the trend and can be used as a force to send your business even more success but before getting there, we need to led you to look at the shocking statistics about food waste situation.
● 1,300 million tons of the food produced for consumption worldwide being thrown away as food waste and it is enough to provide food for 800 million hungry people worldwide.
● 11% of the world's population faces to starvation.
● 36 million people die of hunger worldwide every year.
● Every 10 seconds a child dies because insufficient food intake
● 9 billion US dollars is the annual cost of the global economy from food waste problem
● 3.3 billion tons is the amount of carbon dioxide that had caused by food waste around the world every year.
● 8% of greenhouse gas emissions and the cause of global warming comes from food waste which emits methane stronger than carbon dioxide.
1,300 million tons of food is produced for global consumption every year. It is thrown as food waste which is enough to feed the world's 800 million hungry people, while 11 percent of the world's population faces to starvation. Each year, Hungry is the cause of 36 million people around the world die, which is even more than half the population of Thailand and every 10 seconds a child dies because insufficient food intake.
Moreover, "food waste" is one of the leading causes of global warming, with 8% of greenhouse gas emissions and the cause of global warming comes from food waste which emits methane stronger than carbon dioxide, which the a lot of food waste heap is waste emits serious pollution.
References: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations UN’s World Population Prospects 2019
● Thai people create 1.14 kilograms of waste per person per day.
● The amount of waste generated by Thai people throughout per year is 27.4 million tons.
● 64% of this amount (approximately 17.6 million tons) is food waste that equivalent to 63,000 large passenger aircraft such as Airbus A380.
● Approximately 50,000 tons is the amount that Thai people throw away garbage per day.
● 254 kg is the amount of waste generated by Thai people throughout per year - 30% more than the French and 40% more than Americans!
These statistics are shocking. It told that Thai people generate very high amounts of food waste and it is more than the United States that has more populations. If you let the same behavior continue to be expected, these statistics will definitely rise.
The world's trend is occurring now and also occurs in Thailand also.
Millenial and Gen Z are interested in this topic
Entrepreneurs must be take responsibility to society.
You can apply as Market tool to attract new customers and it is also a generation that naturally likes to tell 'Like & Share'.
It is the Sustainability Marketing standard of doing business in the present
Help to earn incomes
Reducing food waste make to reduces costs and earn more revenue and profit.
The global warming is 'Global Trend' and many parties are working to resolve the situation. In our own country, there are many leading restaurants and hotels that are already starting to have some clear action. Whether it is a famous restaurant that is successful like Bo.lan or Haoma, including leading hotel brands such as Marriott, etc.,
Behind the other notable achievements of the eco-friendly restaurant and hotel, part of it come from the trend that modern consumers from Gen Z onwards, especially millennial till Alpha, are paying attention to environmental issues which is a new generation of customers have both potential and purchasing power likes to support social enterprise and it is also a generation that naturally likes to tell 'Like & Share'.
Therefore, the benefit that Horeca entrepreneurs will receive is you can apply 'Zero Food Waste' use as a marketing tool to attract new customers and will also receive public relations from the media because it has a good image as a responsible business for society and environment. This is the Sustainability Marketing standard of doing business in the present and the most important point is when taking Zero Food Waste Management seriously, it will also help you reduce costs, earn income and the profit increases too.
You can tune in Zero Food Waste Programto Reduce Costs and Increase Profits through Food Waste Reduction via Facebook : Makro Horeca Academy and the website to increase restaurant owners’ know-how so that they can develop their business to survive the current crisis and to educate them on how to reduce food waste for reducing costs and increasing profits, with the online content on food waste and food waste management methods.
Our highlight is Zero Food Waste Workshop, which is a special workshop open for those interested free of charge on 11 November 2020. Please follow the news via Facebook : Makro Horeca Academy
Stay up to date with articles that entrepreneurs shouldn’t miss out on!